Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good

Shellie Mortensen, Staff Writer

5 Seconds of Summer released their second studio album Sounds Good Feels Good this last month. Its fourteen tracks of catchy pop-punk tunes. Now don’t get me wrong I love 5SOS all the way but saying they are a full punk band is stretching the truth a little bit. All of the songs were co-written by several members of the band, some were fully written solely by band members. Co-writers include Benji and Joel Madden from Good Charlotte, Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low, and John Feldmann who produced the whole album.

Anyway let’s get down to the nitty gritty of Sounds Good Feels Good.

It starts off with a song by the name of ‘Money’ which I feel sets the tone for the whole album. It starts with a prologue where you can hear the band members picking up their instruments getting ready to jam out. This is definitely not your cookie cutter boy band song, so why call them a boy band? The first song already shows that this album will be a little heavier than their self-title album 5 Seconds of Summer.

Throughout the album they almost tell a story. The first few tracks are just feel good songs. Once you hit track five you can tell they dug deep into their emotions for what they wrote. It’s titled ‘Jet Black Heart’ and the title is the whole sense of the song. It’s semi-ballad and has that 2000’s emo sound.

“’Cause I’ve got a jet black heart
and there’s a hurricane underneath it
Trying to keep us apart
I write with a poison pen
But these chemicals moving between us
Are the reason to start again”

— Jet Black Heart

John Feldmann quotes, “That song is so goddamn good. [Co-writer] David Hodges wrote most of Evanescence’s songs, [and] he wrote that Christina Perri song “A Thousand Years.” He’s a classic songwriter, an artistic, emotional songwriter.”

John Feldmann with guitarist Michael Clifford

Personally one of my favorite songs is the next track, ‘Catch Fire’. It is so catchy. I feel like it’s a fun upbeat twist on a heartbreak song. Where one person wants so badly for a relationship to work but the significant other just won’t put forth the effort. It shows more of a pop undertone but I feel like the way the music is composed makes it so it doesn’t go in that mainstream direction the band was trying to avoid.

‘This is broken love in the first degree’ – Catch Fire

Even if you aren’t into love songs this album has something that could reach out to you.

Luke Hemmings, Calum Hood, and Michael Clifford collaborated and wrote a song called Broken Home. It talks of a girl whose parents are going through a tough time, it shows connotations of divorce hence the title ‘Broken Home’.  Ashton, the drummer, whose dad left when he was child relates to the song more than anyone. He says “We’re saying something with this song, it’s going to connect with the audience, at least 50% of our audience come from broken homes. We’re actually taking a stand.”

The final track on the standard edition is ‘Outer Space/Carry On’. It was recorded on a small beach in Sam Simeon, California in just two takes. You can hear the ocean in the background which makes it feel so real. There’s an interlude between the two songs which is just waves crashing. The second part of the song, ‘Carry On’, is the epilogue of the whole album. It says that while all the odds are against us we’re still doing what we love in the end.

5 Seconds of Summer have definitely gone in the right direction with this album. I’m excited to see what the future holds for the band.

OCTOBER 12, 2014: SYDNEY, NSW. (L-R) Calum Hood, Luke Hemmings, Aston Irwin and Michael Clifford of Australian boy band '5 Seconds of Summer' (5SOS) pose during a photo shoot at the Intercontinental Hotel in Sydney, New South Wales. (Photo by Cameron Richardson / Newspix) Contact Email: newspix@newsltd.com.au Contact Web URL: www.newspix.com.au Contact Email: newspix@newsltd.com.au

• Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

Showcase

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

News

Jersey Mikes Foundation

Showcase

An Alternative to College

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

Entertainment

Best Albums of 2015

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

Showcase

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

News

Teachers are Humans too

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good