Best Albums of 2015

Samantha Watts, Staff

2015 has come to a well-anticipated close, and 2016 has everyone reminiscing about the year gone by. We all remember such pop culture events as the premiere of “Mockingjay Part 3,” hundreds of new memes like “The Dress” and JOHN CENA, and the tragic series finale of “Parks and Recreation.” One of the best parts of the year was the music. Hundreds of new albums came out in 2015, including albums from brand new singers, and singers that we all thought had disappeared. It may be hard to determine, but we need a Top Six list to make into a playlist called “The Good Old Days, 2015,” and the Spartan Sentinel is here to give you the most reliable list there is.
6. In The Lonely Hour, Sam Smith
We all know that Sam Smith understands every single one of our heartbreak struggles and can sing them like liquid gold. But this album is like a beautiful tribute to hopeless romantics and sad souls everywhere, making it his best album yet. Such beautiful hits as “I’m Not The Only One” and “Stay With Me” have graced all of our ears, but this album also contains his lesser-known but equally-gorgeous songs like “Not In That Way” and “Drowning in Shadows.” This album deserves a place on this list without question.
Best Track: “How Will I Know”
Copies sold: over one million
Listen to when…: you feel like crying. A lot.
gif mayb
5. 1989, Taylor Swift
This album easily hit number one on the charts within days of dropping. With such catchy songs as “Shake it Off” and “Bad Blood” as well as tragic ballads like “Wildest Dreams” and “Clean,” this album has a little something for everyone. Not only are the songs empowering and relatable, but the music videos that follow the singles on this disc are phenomenal.
Best track: “All You Had to Do Was Stay”
Copies sold: over five million
Listen to when…: you miss your ex, you want to dance, and/or you need a pick-me-up.
4. Back On Top, The Front Bottoms
By far the best album by this band, Back On Top has a plethora of pop-punk-rock-indie-indescribable music that anyone can jam out to. From “The Plan” to “Cough It Out” to “Plastic Flowers,” every single song feels new and unpredictable, like The Front Bottoms’ lead singer Brian Sella could say anything at any moment. Perfect.
Best track: “Summer Shandy”
Copies sold: over thirty thousand
Listen to when…: you’re super sad and/or you need to rock out.
AltarTV-TheFrontBottomsAuRevoirStudio004986
3. Blue Neighbourhood, Troye Sivan
His first ever full-length album, Troye Sivan broke the music industry and the internet with the release of this album. (For this reason, we’ll ignore that he spelled “neighborhood” the Aussie way, AKA the wrong way.) Blue Neighbourhood is groundbreaking, full of knock-out hits with a nice indie-pop feel and a different heartbreaking message in each song. Tracks like “TALK ME DOWN,” “WILD,” and “FOOLS” paint gorgeous mental pictures for the listener, the kind of thing we didn’t see a lot of in 2015.
Best track: “BITE”
Copies sold: over fifty-five thousand
Listen to when…: it’s summer (or you wish it was summer) and/or you’re looking for a make-out playlist.
2. Made in the A.M., One Direction
These boys keep getting better and better. Their fifth album (first one sans-Zayn, tragically) Made in the A.M. puts a whole new spin on their boyband persona, adding a nice indie touch that will make a fan of One Direction swoon. Songs like “If I Could Fly” and “I Want to Write You a Song” will make you feel like they wrote the songs with you in mind. This album could be their best.
Best track: “End of the Day”
Copies sold: over four hundred thousand
Listen to when…: you’re in the mood for a jam session and/or you feel smitten.
madeinthaam
1. American Beauty/American Psycho, Fall Out Boy
Alright, let’s just say it: this album landed number one because every single track on it is gold. These were the songs we heard the most on the radio in 2015, so much that we should have grown sick of them… but, because it’s Fall Out Boy, we didn’t. We all loved hearing “Irresistible” and “Immortals” on the soundtrack of Big Hero 6, and we didn’t even mind that we heard “Centuries” and “Uma Thurman” every other song in every other store playing over the intercom. The hiatus was bad, but 2015 was oh-so good for this adorably emo band.
 Best track: “American Beauty/American Psycho”
Copies sold: over two hundred thousand
Listen to when: you’re driving with your friends, you’re in a great mood, and/or you just want to hear the best music of all time.

• Best Albums of 2015

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

• Best Albums of 2015

Showcase

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

• Best Albums of 2015

News

Jersey Mikes Foundation

• Best Albums of 2015

Showcase

An Alternative to College

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

• Best Albums of 2015

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

• Best Albums of 2015

Showcase

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

• Best Albums of 2015

Entertainment

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good

• Best Albums of 2015

News

Teachers are Humans too

Best Albums of 2015