An Alternative to College

Not sure if or when you want to go to college? Check out this alternative.

Ingrid Fevang, Staff Writer

College posters are ubiquitous in the hallways and classrooms of most high schools, and there is increasing pressure from teachers, school counselors, and parents to attend college immediately after high school. With only three months left in the school year, many seniors are starting to feel the stress of going to college.

In a world where a graduating senior is told they have two options, college or career, students may feel boxed-in and incapable of seeing other less traditional options.

If you don’t feel like college is something for you, or if you’re just not ready yet, fear not; there are many different alternatives and options out there. You can take a year off school where you just work and save up money, you can travel to exciting new places, or you can take some time to figure out what you want to pursue.

School can be tough, especially in the long run. Many people would benefit from having a break before college, rushing into something you’re not ready for can bring negative consequences later in life. So if you’re not one of those people who has it all figured out quite yet, you might want to keep reading.

Many people might have an idea of what they want to do, they just feel like they need a little more time. A gap year is great if you just want a small break where you can figure out exactly what will work best for you and your future. Taking a year off after high school can be very helpful. Getting a job to save up money is a good way to spend a year without any interruptions from classes and tests. Being able to work more hours will benefit you financially which again will help you pay for college, if and when that time comes.

“I just really want to travel, have new experiences and see new places,” Trishay Harris (17) said when asked about what her plans were after high school. Traveling is the best way to learn about this world and yourself; it can help you realize what you want to do. Maybe you fall in love with city life and skyscrapers, and you want to become an architect. Maybe you meet so many interesting people that you can write stories about and become an author. Maybe experiencing amazing places will inspire you to work for a travel agency and let other people see the greatness of this world also.  

It can be hard to decide what to do. Talking to your counselor, checking out the career center, or just doing some research can give you an even better insight of your possibilities. There are many organizations that have programs for going abroad, some are even free. Programs where you help out with animals or children and people with disabilities are great for people who would like to pursue a career within the nursing field.

• An Alternative to College

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

• An Alternative to College

Showcase

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

• An Alternative to College

News

Jersey Mikes Foundation

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

• An Alternative to College

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

• An Alternative to College

Entertainment

Best Albums of 2015

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

• An Alternative to College

Showcase

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

• An Alternative to College

Entertainment

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good

• An Alternative to College

News

Teachers are Humans too

An Alternative to College