Leonardo “I Finally Won an Oscar” DiCaprio

Leonardo DiCaprio’s film debut happened in 1991 with a straight to DVD production. Just two years after this release, he was nominated for his first Oscar at the age of 19 for his role in “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape”. But that was just it- it was a nomination at the Academy Awards; the gold statuette didn’t come home with him.

His next Oscar nomination wouldn’t come till much later in his career. In 2004 his performance in “The Aviator” earned him a nomination for Best Actor but the ‘win’ just wasn’t in his grasp. Year after year Leo would play extravagant roles and not even get nominated. In 2006 he was nominated once again for “Blood Diamond” but lost to Forest Whitaker.

Leo’s losses quickly became as popular as the actor himself. More than probably any other actor, Leo gained notoriety with each Oscar snubbing. Multiple memes and short videos came out mocking the fact that the award would never sit on his mantelpiece.

In late 2015 the cherished Leo starred in the drama/thriller film “The Revenant”. It takes place around 1823 in what is now Montana and South Dakota. While legendary skilled trapper Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) is exploring uncharted land he is brutally attacked by a bear. His trapping team leaves him for dead and he must survive by himself. Stricken by revenge for his murdered son, he travels on the snow packed ground to find the murderer and his former associate, John Fitzgerald.

On the night of February 28th, 2016 the 88th Academy Awards commenced. Of course they would save the Best Actor category for last, since it was the most anticipated. As the awards were given out to their rightful owners the eagerness grew. Every so often the cameras would cut to DiCaprio, sitting in agony while name after name was called, but never his. Through the night small digs were thrown at the actor. A joke about the bear from “The Revenant” came to surface, when the camera panned to Leo he sat there stone faced.

Those who saw “The Revenant” felt that Leo had finally locked in a victory. All it took was him eating raw bison liver, sleeping naked inside a dead horse, and hours and hours of horrendous filming conditions and punishing circumstances.

Then, finally, the moment came. Julianne Moore gallivants across the stage in a long black dress. As she announces the nominees, you can almost feel the sweat dripping from Leonardo DiCaprio’s brow. Moore gracefully opens up the envelope and then Leonardo’s name fills the room. Every single person in the Dolby Theater was on their feet. The camera shows a very happy Kate Winslet applauding her lifelong friend.  DiCaprio’s speech is short. He uses this time to bring attention to climate change, which some found cringe-worthy. Once he exits the stage he goes to get his award engraved with his name. He jokes with the engraver at his own expense, “You do this every year?” she nods her head to say ‘yes’ he then responds with “I wouldn’t know…” Before leaving with his award he humbly picks up a pamphlet on how to take care of the award, “I have to maintain it? What does it need?!”

Other famous actors who haven’t received an Oscar: Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, John Travolta, Robert Downey Jr, Liam Neeson, Will Smith, Mark Wahlberg, and Bradley Cooper.

Here are some fun memes of Leo before he won an Oscar:

leo2

Conceal, don’t feel.

leo

leo4

leo5

download

• Leonardo “I Finally Won an Oscar” DiCaprio

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

Showcase

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

News

Jersey Mikes Foundation

Showcase

An Alternative to College

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

Entertainment

Best Albums of 2015

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

Showcase

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Entertainment

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good