MHS College Bound Athletes

Carson Chacon

Maxs Tupai:

MURRAY — Utah football topped off its 2016 recruiting class nicely on Wednesday, securing the late signing of Murray four-star defensive end prospect Maxs Tupai.

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Tupai finished his standout Spartan career with 81 tackles and eight sacks in 2015, helping Murray reach the 4A state quarterfinals.

Tupai comes in at No. 270 on the ESPN 300 rankings of the top talent in the 2016 recruiting class and is rated the top player from the state of Utah.

According to family members, Tupai also strongly considered offers from USC, UCLA and Oklahoma before deciding on Utah. The specific reasons as to why he chose Utah is anyone’s guess.

Tupai declined to give interviews to the media following his announcement in front of hundreds of fellow students, coaches and family. It was a move consistent with how he’s dealt with inquiring reporters throughout the recruiting process.

Tupai’s commitment adds to an already sterling class for the Utes. Scout.com rated Utah’s recruiting class No. 41 nationally before Tupai’s commitment, and now it’s jumped eight spots to No. 33. He gives Utah two four-star commits in the 2016 class to go along with a five-star commit, offensive lineman Garett Bolles of Lehi who played the past two seasons at Snow College.

Drew Cash:

The 6 foot 3, 210 pound quarter back finished his high school career as one of the top prospects in Utah, Cash also holds every passing record in Murray football history with over 4,000 yards thrown 49 passing touch downs and 378 completions. Drew Cash had played a major part in leading Murray to two back to back playoff appearances, those playoff appearances were the first time in well over a decade that Murray had been to the playoffs.

Lizzy Braby:

BYU women’s soccer signed four recruits on Wednesday who will join the team this fall for the 2016 season. The group includes three players from Utah and one from California. The four players will be joined by four return missionaries to replace the three seniors the Cougars lost this past season.Lizzy Braby earned two First-Team All-State honors this season after starting all four years at Murray High School and being a captain for the past two seasons. She was a Utah State Cup champion and a regional finalist in her club soccer. Braby has been an honor roll student each of the past four years.

2015 Deseret News 4A First Team All-State…2015 Salt Lake Tribune 4A Coaches First Team All-State…Two-time Deseret News 4A All-State Honorable Mention (2013 & 2014)…Four-year high school varsity starter (2012-2015)…Four-time academic high school honor roll (2012-2015)…2015 Utah State Cup Champions…2015 Regional Finalists…High school team captain as a junior and senior.

MHS College Bound Athletes