10 Tips to Stay on Track in School

Jordin

10 Tips To Stay on Track in School

As much fun as school is, and as much as we benefit from the education, it’s hard to always stay on track. Don’t be that kid who has to take an extra year of high school because he got side tracked by going to too many parties.

Here are ten ways to prevent that sort of thing from happening.

• Stay Focused On Your Goals

Have a professional attitude on your education, inside and outside of class. It may seem vague at times, but the classes you’re taking now really do benefit you in the future.

Whether you want to be a Mechanic, Author, Astronomer, or whatever, these core classes were chosen for you for a reason. They teach you invaluable information, that doesn’t just get stored up there for a year and forgotten about.

Set short term goals such as improving your GPA a half of a point, and hold yourself to it. You don’t have to graduate in a day. But, on the contrary, you don’t have your whole life to graduate high school. It has to end sometime.

2) Plan, Plan, and More Plan

Planning leads to success. Grab a planner, use your phone’s calendar, whatever. Just plan. Plan everything. From homework, to weekend events, to school games. There is never enough planning.

3) Attendance is Essential

The attendance rate is important because students are more likely to succeed in academics when they attend school consistently.” Says Greatschools.org “It’s difficult for the teacher and the class to build their skills and progress if a large number of students are frequently absent. In addition to falling behind in academics, students who are not in school on a regular basis are more likely to get into trouble with the law and cause problems in their communities.”

4) Stay Healthy

A good diet, full night’s sleep, and daily exercise can maximize your learning potential. Exercising at least 30 minutes a day will help to reduce stress, increase stress, and your ability to focus.

5) Study Everywhere, Anytime

Studying is a key to success! You can’t just show up to class and retain every word that your teacher says. That just doesn’t work. Take notes, pay attention, make flash cards, and be prepared for the unit final on monday. Any studying helps.

6) Ask for Help When you Need it

Don’t act like you know it all. You don’t, otherwise you wouldn’t be in school. Teachers know it all, usually. And as their name suggests, they want to teach you. Don’t be a stubborn brat, and don’t be too embarrassed to ask. You are definitely not alone.

7) Believe in Yourself, You Can do it All

Classes, work, home, and social life can make involvement in extracurricular activities seem overwhelming, but it is strongly encouraged to participate in them.

“You find time and commit to things that are important to you,” Jessica Denne, associate dean at MSB, says. “Keep a schedule. Anything that is worth doing is hard at first.” she also says that even if it doesn’t seem important, “that can change later.”

8) Don’t let Your First Year Determine You

You first experience can be a huge learning opportunity. You are bound to make mistakes your first year, that is given with anything you are starting. Nobody is perfect. But, your GPA will completely forgive you for that, if you stay focused.

9) Friends are Important too

Friends and activities will be your savior from the library. They will be what keep you active, involved, and most importantly, and relatively sain. Of course, don’t put them before the textbook, though.

Also, friends can make good study groups, help copy notes, and so on.

10) Yep, You’re in High School

Being a high school student is serious business. As challenging as it might be at times, the experience is well worth it, because it can determine what college you get into, which decides whether you’re an assistant manager at Mcdonald’s making ten bucks an hour, or are a Surgeon who makes millions a year.

10 Tips to Stay on Track in School