To Read or Not To Read: Spartan Book Club

Rylee Bunnell, Writer

Murray High School’s Spartan Book Club promotes literacy amongst students, taps into the interests of large range of teens, and offers a friendly place for students to understand the importance of reading outside of school.  

Spartan Book Club is a club where students can choose a book that best fits the theme for that quarter, read the book, and come back on the designated date to discuss the books they read with their peers.  The most recent theme was “redemption,” and the upcoming theme is “overcoming weakness.”

They meet quarterly in the library, usually at 7 a.m., and converse about what they read over a breakfast provided by the club.  Students can also introduce new books to their peers, as well as make new friends in the process.  

Started eight years ago by former English teacher, Melia Fidel, Spartan Book Club has become the largest club at Murray High School.  It began as a small club, started as a way to turn an unused library into something the students could use with ease and comfort; the club did exactly that.  The library is now in full use, being a quiet and comfortable place for students to study, read, or just relax at school.

Being the largest club at school, it is held to a certain standard amongst the students of Murray High; it is always the same.  According to Fidel, “[Spartan Book Club] is predictable; students return because they know exactly what to expect.”  

Attendance at the quarterly meetings is high; students come back because they know exactly how the meeting will go.  There are no sign-up fees and no worries about returning.

Anyone interested in reading and/or looking for a fun place to talk about books with their peers should join Spartan Book Club.  To sign up for the club, simply write your name on the Spartan Book Club list in the library and attend the scheduled meeting. The next meeting is January 26 at 7:00 in the library. Joining the club is free, and there is no sign up deadline, so anyone can join at anytime.  In the words of Fidel herself: “You should join because [Spartan Book Club] is the best club, and it has free food!”

• To Read or Not To Read: Spartan Book Club

Community

Interact River Clean-Up a Success

MHS Clubs

Is it Good…or Evil? Spartan Book Club

MHS Clubs

The Most Important Meal of the Day: Bookworm Edition

• MHS Clubs

What is FBLA?

MHS Clubs

Basics of Creation

• MHS Clubs

Thirsty for blood? Join HOSA!

MHS Clubs

Pottery Club

MHS Clubs

National Honor Society

MHS Clubs

IT Club

• MHS Clubs

Interacting with Interact