S.H.I.E.L.D Pride

New acronym hopes to change culture for football players

Andrew Smith, Student Writer

A culture change is coming to the Murray High School football team.

Even after an amazing Homecoming victory, the team ended the season with  2-7 record.

In order to create a better season next year, the players and coaches decided  the team has to change its culture.

Thus the idea of S.H.I.E.L.D was  created.

S.H.I.E.L.D. stands for strength, honor, intensity, education, leadership, and dedication.

Each player and coach is motivated by these five words and believes that these words can change the culture of the team.

Next season the coaches and players believe they can make it to the playoffs and have a bounce back season.

The first captain, junior Jackson Rose, explained the letter “S”.

Rose said, “We are smaller than all the teams we play and the only way we can fix that is in the weight room.”

As most people can see, the Murray football team isn’t big.

Coach Drew Rykert has found an app called “TrainHeroic.”  Every football player is required to have it and this app provides instructions and tips in the weight room.

Rykert said, “This app can help our team get stronger, faster, and tougher.”  

The letter “H” is one of the most important letters in S.H.I.E.L.D. “H” is for honor and honor means respect.

The Murray football team feels like it sometimes doesn’t get as much respect from other teams because the players are smaller than the opposing teams.

Isaac Green, a senior  captain, said, “Everyone on this team has heard someone in the hallway at our school say we suck and how bad we are. We have to have the courage and honor to stand up to them and stand up for our teammates instead of ignoring the people who say this.”

Brandon Alvarez, senior, one of the most intense football players on the football team presented the “I” in S.H.I.E.L.D.

Alvarez provided the team a jump start to get their energy up and since he is a senior he said, “Next year this team needs to find a guy who can give energy to this team and keep it the whole game. If we can have intensity the whole game and throughout the whole season we will be able to beat a lot of teams.”

Intensity, the “I” in S.H.I.E.L.D  is a key part in winning football games.

The next letter is “E”, which means Education.

School plays a big role in all sports in high school and college. If you have awful grades, behavior, and attendance, players will not be able to play.

The football coaches require a 2.0 GPA  and no U’s in citizenship to be eligible to play. Coach Todd Thompson always says, “Remember you are a student athlete and not an athlete student. School always comes before sports.”

“L” is for Loyalty.

Loyalty is a struggle for some players. Isaac Taeoalii, another team captain, said, “Every year at Murray we have players who come and go. This team rarely has players who stay and are loyal to the team.” The players call each other brother and act like they are a family. A big rule for the team is “Be loyal to your brothers.”  The stronger each player connects with one another the more loyalty and trust each one has in each other.”

Finally the last letter is “D”. Football is a tough sport and takes up a lot of time. Players must be dedicated and be able to make time for the sport. The hardest thing in football is summer workouts. Summer workouts are tiring and if a player isn’t dedicated enough he will not make it. If a player is not dedicated to any team, the team will never improve and neither will the individual. Dedication is a major key to success.

It is believed that S.H.I.E.L.D can turn the Murray football team around, and direct the team into a winning season.

The belief in S.H.I.E.L.D can create a culture change in the sport and turn this team into something great.