Get to Know: Heather Preece-Adventurer, Social Worker & Yoga Master

Sarah Rasmussen, Writer

Heather Preece; adventurer, social worker, and Yoga Master. Ever since she was in high school she knew she wanted to help people. At first she wanted to be a judge… but she soon realized that you have to go to law school for that, so that was out.

She then decided that she wanted to work in the schools and help kids get through life and its challenges.

School success is a big part of her job. Mrs. Preece works with the students, teachers, parents, administration, and others. She works with them to ensure the success of students.

If you need help with school, she can help you find resources like math lab and tutors. If you have anxiety or depression she is a great person to talk to and unwind. If you need a break from school her door is always open.

Social work can also be a tough job. According to a 2010 study 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys are sexually assaulted. In 2016 suicide became the #1 cause of death for teens in Utah. According to a SHARP (Student Health and Risk Prevention)  survey, 19% of teens ages 10-17 considered suicide and 8.6% attempted suicide. Mrs. Preece says that every week 2-3 kids come in to talk to her about suicidal thoughts.

Mrs. Preece knows that school can be hard, and life can be even harder. She helps students change their outlook on life. She helps them believe in themselves and know that they can do anything.

School success is a big part of her job. Success in school can reduce both anxiety and depression.

During Flex period on Mondays and Fridays Mrs. Preece holds a yoga class for students. Yoga is a great way to relieve anxiety. She says that yoga is personal and can combat stress and depression.

Yoga can also help to clear your mind and help you look at life from a new perspective. She hopes that kids will enjoy it and be able to handle life in a better, easier way.

High school and senior year, according to Mrs. Preece, is the hardest part of life. “If you can get through this, you can get through anything!” She really believes in the students here at Murray High and wants us to succeed.

Mrs. Preece is an also adventurer. She went on an LDS mission to Slovenia where she learned to speak Slovene. After grad school she went on a trip to Hawaii. She has even been skydiving, not just once but three times! She says that it could become her addiction.

She loves hiking and backpacking. After she got her masters at the University of Utah, she got a job working in wilderness therapy. She went camping, hiking, and snowshoeing with kids who were working through addictions of their own.

Mrs. Preece has two kids. One is in 1st grade and the other is in 2nd grade. She teaches them Spanish and they are both in a Spanish dual immersion program. She still goes on adventures with her little kids. Mini adventures like hiking in Bryce canyon and the dinosaur exhibit in Vernal, Utah.  

You can find Mrs Preece in room 239; you can email her at [email protected], or you can sign up to see her through the Counseling Office secretary, Dana Adams.  For urgent situations, always remember 911, the Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-TALK, call or text), and the Safe UT app.

• Get to Know: Heather Preece-Adventurer, Social Worker & Yoga Master

Features

Navigating the the streets of chicago

Features

Winning an Espey

Features

Why is “The Bean” so Significant?

• Features

Inside the Auto Shop

• Features

An Unexpected Journey: Scott Wihongi’s Path to MHS Principal

• Features

Another Life

Features

A Dancing Matter

Features

Mystery Date

• Features

Troubled Youth Rises Above

• Features