A New Meaning to ‘Let’s Get This Bread’

The Prostart Program teaches Murray students the In's and out's of the food industry.

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New Meaning to ‘Let’s Get This Bread’

Karrie Norton, Editor

In our very own Murray High, we have a group of students who have a passion for food and want to learn what the food industry is really like. For those students, there is such a place to learn these skills: Prostart.

Taught by Chef KC Gray, it’s a small class focused on building skill and character in the kitchen.

They’re often preparing for small to large catering events or learning and honing their culinary talents. The long hours on their feet and the pursuit of success can be stressful at times, but those you find in room 123 thrive and chase the feeling you get when all is said and done.

Prostart has catered everything from the football banquet to teacher luncheons to the Death by Chocolate booth in February.

The sometimes high-pressure environment shows students what it’s like to work in an industrial kitchen; time constraints, the constant communication, focusing on both speed and creating a product that one is proud to serve. The students find friendships in this classroom from constant communicating, pressure, and a substantial amount of time spent together.

“It’s a class that has helped me grow in both the sense of cooking and as a person. When I first started, I was really closed off and lazy. Now I’m opening up and actually doing things and participating.” says Junior Mckenna Moeinvaziri, a first-year student of the program.

One part of the Prostart program that much of the Murray student body is unaware about is the culinary competition team.

The small group is composed of Prostart students who will go on to compete in a timed competition. In 60 minutes, the group of 5 students must create a 3-course meal from scratch with no electricity and only 2 butane burners to cook everything on.

It’s a chance to show skill to a panel of experienced judges and possibly advance to state and national levels, each with their own increasing expectations of skill. When asked about her experience after practice, team member junior Acacia Swann said,  “I feel like I will gain a lot from being able to work under high-pressure situations and think on the spot. Working in the ring is an experience like nothing that I’ve had before.”

About the Contributor
Karrie Norton, Editor

MHS senior is captain of the Prostart competition team and a member of MHS STEM club. She has been cooking for over 8 years and been a member of Prostart...

• A New Meaning to ‘Let’s Get This Bread’

Features

Senior Spotlights

Features

The Man of Many Talents

• Features

Diary of a Pro Start Competitor

Features

Chris Thompson Says Work Ethic is Necessary for Success

Features

The Poverty Olympics

• Features

Commas, Apostrophes, and Music Notes

Features

ProStart Team

Features

Meet the Prince Charming Candidates: Tyler Demann and Noah Kern!

Features

Meet the Prince Charming Candidates: Michael Durrant, Ethan Larson, and Kelton Stock!

Features

Meet the Prince Charming Candidates: Griffin Bitton, Jackson Rose, and Shayne Zullo!