This is What a Feminist Looks Like

Back to Article
Back to Article

This is What a Feminist Looks Like

Brienna Haro

The streets leading up to Utah’s State Capitol were filled with men, women, and children coming together, showing what true democracy looks like.  Chants were shouted, voices were loud, and signs were held expressing concerns dealing with discrimination, violence and sexual harassment against all women and those who are within the LGBTQ community.

This was the third annual Women’s March and was organized by the youth led organization People for Unity.  Members included graduated Murray High students Christian Nichols and Dieu (Jill) Hoang. They marched not only for themselves and the hopes of a better future, but for those who feel like they have lost their voice or their right to speak up.

Many are tired and fed up by the fact that they have been discriminated, discouraged, and harrassed not only by people in the workplace, but by the leaders that were elected in the White House.  

Jackie Biskupski, Mayor of Salt Lake City, shared how she was put down for her career choice and being a working mom.  She constantly received backlash from not only the media but by people she is supposed to work with.

Speakers such as Mishka Banuri, a proud Muslim woman from Pakistan, also told stories of how men would say obscene things about her because of how the media portray women from ethnically diverse backgrounds.   

Banuri was done with feeling like she had to keep her head down and turn the other cheek.  She wanted to make a change in the world, which lead her to be the activist she is today.  

This is often the case for many men and women which is why it is important to get out there and vote, march, and speak your mind when you see that something isn’t right.  

If you want more information on matters like this, check out People for Unity and get involved

About the Writer
Brienna Haro, Co-Publisher

Brie Haro is a second year member for Dance Co at Murray High. She is a lover of dogs and friends, she is a hardworking student but she still has time...

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

News

Student Press Freedom Day!

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

Entertainment

#MeToo

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

News

Late Start Days

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

News

Behind the Scenes of Annie

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

News

Sounds of the Season

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

News

And The Winners Are……

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

News

Dance Company’s Winter Night

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

Assemblies

Seniors Win Spirit Bowl…AGAIN

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

News

MHS Book Giveaway

• This is What a Feminist Looks Like

News

Calling All Spirit-Filled Spartans