Asian Representation on the Rise!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Asian Representation on the Rise!

Taysia Chea, Editor

As of late it seems that Asian representation in media is beginning to rise and actors such as Sandra Oh are being acknowledged for their work in America! January 6th of this year Sandra Oh, known for her role in the well known television show Grey’s Anatomy, won a Golden Globe award and was able to, very emotionally, thank her parents during the award show.

Talk about a year for Asian representation starting from the blowing up of “To All the Boys I’ve Loved” a netflix original, to the outrageous viewing of “Crazy Rich Asians”, and even the worldwide recognition of boy group BTS.

While there are many different social issues going on in this world of social media, what I’m talking about doesn’t seem to be taken as seriously as others. It’s usually dismissed as something trivial, and while I understand that it may also have to do with the fact that it deals with a minority population in America, it’s rather disheartening to have to personally see it happen.

Racism is no joke, it is a sensitive topic, and you can easily go from a good standing to bad with someone depending on what you say. While some can easily say that people are too sensitive and need to take a joke, it’s something serious that we can’t quite seem to fix even to this day. To see the people that I look up to blowing up all of my social media (without me specifically looking for it) is something very rare.

I can remember the day I had so longingly awaited, the first day BTS would “debut” on American television. As a devoted ARMY I had bought new batteries for my lightstick and had planned to meet up with a close group of friends in order to watch the American Music Awards with each other.

It was a day full of screams each time we would see “our” boys on screen, despite the fact that they were quite literally sitting and doing nothing. All of our voices were hoarse afterwards and we had legitimately screamed our lungs out. As stupid as this sounds it was something very important to the 6 of us and I’m sure that they can all say it still remains an important moment to this day.

Also, the day that the Crazy, Rich, Asians trailer came out my family and I were nothing less of excited. We walked out of the movie theatre after its screening completely satisfied with the different types of cultures represented and the history that it also based itself off of. The book in and of itself was great, but to see people of my own culture on the screen being presented in a way that was more realistic and relatable made the movie that much better.

To have this sudden change of the typical nerdy Asian stereotype playing the sidekick to them being the main character and actually being viewed as comparable to American actors and singers is a nice change. The usual lack of Asian-Americans and the change of the typical stereotype is enough to allow for the public to view Asians differently and bring up the idea that not all Asians are the same.

From that day on it seemed that Asians were beginning to become more recognized for their efforts, or even recognized in general. Kpop has been an important part of Asian culture for years but had only just now become a widely known “phenomenon”. And while I cannot say that kpop is the sole reason that Asians have gained more recognition, I will say that it has started to play a large role.

About the Writer
Taysia Chea, Editor

I'm Murray High School senior, Taysia Chea. I'm a lover of clothes and absolutely adore any and everyone with a good fashion sense. I enjoy travelling...

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

Movie Review “Us”

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

Childhood Comeback

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

Stevie Nicks – Women Dominating the Hall of Fame

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

The Jonas Brothers Are Back

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

Liyana: Why We Need Art Therapy for Kids Everywhere

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

Green Book Movie Review

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

Luke Perry Dies at 52

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

Markus Zusak’s “Bridge of Clay”

• Asian Representation on the Rise!

Entertainment

“Tetris 99”: Tetris Redefines the “Battle Royale”