What do you want to be when you grow up? MHS career day

Devin Searfross, Writer

What do you want to be when you grow up? On Nov. 7 Murray high students got the opportunity to explore their options, to help them decide what career they want to go into. 

All of the Murray High students got to pick three careers that they wanted to explore in their Flex class. They had a lot of choices, and when the students were picking their careers it showed if  it took a lot of Schooling, and if it paid a lot. 

When I choose my careers for career day I decided to investigate a career as a pilot, and web developer.

The first speaker I went to was a Pilot. and there was a Pilot, his name is Dreak Baker. Baker went to college for business,but two years in he decided that he wanted to go into a career as a pilot instead.

Baker’s favorite thing about being a pilot is “being in the air because it’s beautiful, and getting to see all of the lights, you feel like you’re on top of the world” 

Being a pilot for an international airline pays about $150,000 + each year, and when being a pilot you get to travel for free whenever you want to. 

To become a pilot it usually takes about five semesters to complete the course, and in those five semesters, most students have about 230 hours of flying.   

Another career I got to learn about was a career in Web Development, you have to go to college and get a bachelor’s degree in computer science, but you can learn most of what you have to do on your own. 

Colleen Price is a part time web programmer, she had to learn a lot about what to do on the job, not while she was in school. 

Price has to use a ton of math for her job, and she gets to work from home, and that is her favorite part about her job, “because I can just be in bed in my pjs and do my job” 

Price has been working on a web site with her work for the past 7 years, because even after they made it, they have to constantly update it. 

Rashan Johnson a Murray High Senior, said his career day was “was something else, it was boring, out of the three careers there was only one that wasn’t that bad” Rashan thought the speakers didn’t have enough time and they weren’t prepared.   

My experience with Murray Highs career day was honestly pretty cool, and it was fun learning about the different careers. I’m glad that I got to learn about these careers.