Football Season Recap

Alyssa McDonald, Writer

In 1977, Murray High School Football won its most current state championship, and as historic as that season was, the 2019-2020 season revitalized the program, being the best season in the past 15 years.

This season, the Spartans went 8-4, the best season in many years by far, along with a two-game run into the postseason during playoffs. The closest year before this was just last year in 2018, when the team was able to go 6-7. 

An overtime win against Cyprus, 31-28, in the first game set the stage for this remarkable season. Coming off a high three game win streak going into region, the season looked amazing. However, a devastating 42-7 loss to Olympus could’ve ruined the season. But the team was able to bounce back to a gigantic victory against Cottonwood. 

On Sep. 13th, the team had a huge 69-0 victory over the Cottonwood Colts. In the first quarter alone, the Spartans had put up 42 in the first quarter of the game. By the end of the half, the score was 55-0. The team continued to roll, beating Skyline as well as Hillcrest. They would go on a two-game losing streak against Brighton and Highland, but they were able to finish the season with a win against Box Elder.

With many stand-out seniors, it will be difficult for the team next year to fill the holes being left. Senior Owen Madsen, a wide receiver, alone had 15 touchdowns on the season. Autjo Soe, a Senior, was able to get 1156 total yards in the season. On the defensive side of the ball, Senior Vincent Zissie lead the team with 3 sacks and a total of 23 yards lost on sacks. 

There is hope for Murray’s team to remain a very tough team to beat despite the many seniors graduating. Quarterback Kyler Neilson, a sophomore, was forced to start some of the games during the season while senior quarterback Jarrett Henrickson was out on an injury. Kyler Neilson stepped up to the challenge and lead the team to a victory against Box Elder 28-14.

The 2020-2021 season will be a challenge, but just like any other season, the Murray Spartans should be able to pull through and have an even better season.