Communication is Key

Alyssa McDonald, Writer

Communication: a process by which information is exchanged between individuals through a common system of symbols, signs, or behavior” according to According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary.

Communication is a crucial part of our everyday lives as children, teenagers, and especially as adults. This is why it baffles me that communications isn’t a required class in high schools. Communication classes are often only offered in college, or as college credits that you can take in high school. 

William Saxton, the SLCC Communications teacher here at Murray High School said,”Communication is the one thing you’ll be doing every day for the rest of your life until you die. And so it’s good to become better at it. You can’t not communicate.”

Communication is used every day, no matter what you do in life. It is an essential life skill that is rarely taught in schools. Usually it is only offered as an elective, if it is even offered at all. Why are students forced to take physical education and take art classes to graduate but communication, a basic life skill, isn’t required?

Since communication is such a huge part of everyday life, it should be required to graduate high school. For example, to graduate at Murray High School, you have to take 0.5 credits of a finance class, 1.5 credits of an art class, as well as 0.5 credits of a heath. If the school system believes that 1.5 art credits are beneficial and necessary, than there is no reason why communications shouldn’t be added to the list of required classes to take. 

Communication teaches people how to speak effectively speak and listen to each other. This skill is used in every field that people will go in, from food service, law, and media. In every career, you will have to be able to communicate no matter what, whether that’s giving a presentation, teaching new hires, or getting a business partner to sign on to the company.      

Because of the necessity of communication in everyday life, it should be a required class in high school. It is a skill used everyday, no matter what career field students decide to pursue. The class would offer very useful skills to students that they will continue to use throughout their lives.