Homecoming Good or Bad? Two Students Weigh In

September 18, 2015

With the big homecoming game and dance upon us, many students are anxiously waiting to see if they get asked, if the football team will win, and if there will be a goodnight kiss on that awkward walk to the front door. For others, however, this weekend is a nightmare. Many students can’t afford to go to the dance or won’t get asked. The expense of buying a dress, renting a limo, or paying for a fancy dinner can create anxiety and depression for some. Is the homecoming tradition one that should continue or has it run its course? Two staff members go head to head to debate just that.

Homecoming+may+not+be+for+everyone.+
Homecoming may not be for everyone.

Homecoming may not be for everyone.

Homecoming may not be for everyone.

Homecoming Does More Harm Than Good

Homecoming has found its way to us once again. While many are excited and enthusiastic about the dance, there are many aspects we don’t consider. How many people have really thought about the effects this major dance could have? Does it damage self-esteem? Is there unnecessary pressure brought on by the traditions and expectations of this dance?

As a girl, I personally know the pressures of hoping to get asked, finding the perfect dress, struggling to make friends and impress the group you’re in and feeling self-conscious about the way you dance. Perhaps those are personal struggles of mine, but certainly I am not the only one who feels this way.

Trying to find a dress that flatters your figure and matches your favorite heels (all within your budget) is no easy task. Not to mention strict dress code guidelines and the looming fear of being kicked out because of some tiny error. Neither is finding the perfect hairstyle, applying the perfect shades of makeup and having to shave extra carefully so you don’t miss a patch of hair.

And what about those girls who don’t get asked? Are they lucky for not having to deal with the stress of preparing for a dance? Perhaps not. There are several people who will tell you they don’t like dances anyway. But is this really true? If you got asked by your crush would you refuse them? Not getting asked is a huge self-esteem killer. If you’ve ever been that lonely girl – the one who watched everyone else in your friend group get asked – then you know what I’m talking about.

So we get that it can be hard on girls, but what about guys? How does Homecoming affect them? As a girl I can’t personally speak for them, but I’ve asked around and two main things came up: money, and finding the perfect activity. Every guy wants their date to enjoy the activity they pick since it reflects on their own personal taste. But unless your parent’s a billionaire you have to be selective about what you choose. If one guy has his parent’s credit card then the sky is the limit. He can rent that limo and go to a nice restaurant for dinner. But what about the other kid, the one who has a part time job and no help from parents? How does he feel when he shows up at the dance in his car, and sees the limo? Homecoming emphasizes who is rich and who isn’t. It is a night for the haves, while the have-nots are shown what they are missing out on. Homecoming is supposed to create a sense of community, but what it really accomplishes is furthering the divide between students. Furthermore, the boys also worry about where to take the girl to dinner. And where the night will lead. They don’t want to read the signs wrong and have it end disastrous.
So my piece being said, what’s your decision?

Homecoming Creates School Spirit

High schoolers don’t usually show a lot of school spirit. It can be difficult to get a group of tired teenagers to shout “rah rah” at a pep rally, especially when they don’t feel particularly connected to each other or to the school. In order to get high schoolers to cheer for their school, schools need to create some sort of event that gives every student an opportunity to engage in their school and learn to show some school spirit.

A homecoming dance at the beginning of the year is just the event that could get teenagers’ very blood pumping their school colors. This is just one of the many reasons that Murray High’s Homecoming dance is a positive thing. Even the events leading up to the dance–Spartan Spec, the car smash, the Homecoming game–encourage a love for Murray. After these events, students can recognize a newfound excitement about going to Murray High–and that spirit is great for the overall health and happiness of those at the school.

Yet another reason that homecoming can be positive: it encourages a healthy environment by bringing students together who would ordinarily never associate with one another. For that one night, students put their differences aside and just party together, and that’s a great way for teenagers to grow comfortable with each other, creating a healthful ambiance at the school. This sort of bonding is a great way to unite students as a body and really give everyone a sense of togetherness, right at the start of the school year.

Although some may think otherwise, homecoming and all of its events are great for the students at any high school. A sense of unity is important in any group of people who plan to accomplish great things, and the students at Murray High especially need that unity if they are going to reach the incredible goals that they are all capable of working for and achieving. To get that unity, that school spirit, our school needs events like homecoming and Spartan Spec. They remind us what we’re really fighting for, and hold us together even in the most trying of times. Homecoming is vital if we’re going to be the best Spartans we can be.

What do you think? Is the homecoming tradition worth keeping around?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Spartan Sentinel • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in