None of that Hocus Pocus, Let’s Get to the Horror

Erica Jarrell

Erica Jarrell

Shellie Mortensen, Staff Writer

Being a horror movie connoisseur, I compiled the perfect list of Halloween movies. Some might not be all that scary but they will chill you to the bone. What could be a better combination?

Strangers

5. The Strangers (2008): The Strangers is the best movie to watch when you’re home alone. I mean, if you want to be paranoid that every knock is a serial killer disguised as a hurt woman. Which is why this movie is perfect to watch on Halloween. It might be children knocking on your door for candy or it could be someone looking for Tamara. It was inspired by true events which make it even creepier. If you’re feeling rebellious then open up all your windows and make sure your front door is unlocked.

evnt55e78c0d585ce

4. The Exorcist (1973): This movie is just a classic. From the little girl walking down the stairs in a backbend or her head turning a full one eighty, this movie is full of jump scares. When this movie first debuted men and women were lined up for miles to watch it. It is even said that people would run out of the theater in tears and others became ill. (Plus it’s on Netflix, so if you’re down to Netflix and Chill on Halloween then watch this definitive horrifying film.)

The-Conjuring-2-Film

3. The Conjuring (2013): Slightly more recent thriller. If this doesn’t make you want to play hide and clap every day of your life then you are probably lying. Joking! But this should win an award for being unnecessarily suspenseful. While looking into the shadows waiting to see what happens next you could miss a major plot twist. With the movie being set in the seventies it makes it feel all that more authentic. The script and acting makes this even more of a masterpiece. The Conjuring shows no mercy and it’s so disturbing, this isn’t a movie you’ll want to skip out on.

beetlejuice

2. Beetlejuice (1988): Besides BJ being a current resident at Nightmare on 13th you can find him stealing the lead role in his own eighties film. This work of art is directed by none other than Tim Burton (which makes it already ten times better). It might not necessarily be a horror movie but it definitely give off that creepy vibe. The more you watch it the funnier it will get. If you aren’t into being scared out of your socks then cuddle up on Hallows Eve and put Beetlejuice into the tape player.

sinisteranner

1. Sinister (2012): If you’re sick of all those bloody and gory movies then this is the horror film for you. This is the kind of movie that has you lying in bed at night thinking that you see the ‘Boogey Man’ in the corner. Now I know you’re thinking “the boogey man? This movie probably blows…” but that is an incorrect statement. For all those jaded horror movie enthusiasts that think nothing can scare them, watch Sinister. (Also if you’re in the mood for a marathon watch the sequel, it’s better than the first.)

Honorable Mentions:
The Woman in Black
Insidious
Paranormal Activity

• None of that Hocus Pocus, Let’s Get to the Horror

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

Showcase

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

News

Jersey Mikes Foundation

Showcase

An Alternative to College

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

Entertainment

Best Albums of 2015

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

Showcase

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Entertainment

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good