New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Courtesy of foxnews.com

Courtesy of foxnews.com

Courtesy of foxnews.com

Fatima Rasoul

Religion contributes a lot to the culture of Utah. The Mormon religion has the most members in Utah. According to The Salt Lake Tribune in December 2014 there is a total of 62.64% of Mormons in Utah. Any decision made by the LDS church has a significant impact on the whole state of Utah.

Just recently the LDS Church released new policies regarding the children of same-sex marriages. These new policies restrict church membership from children of same-sex couples until they reach the age of 18 and also Mormons that belong to same-sex marriages will now have to attend disciplinary church hearings. According to the New York Times, the spokesman of the LDS Church said that they will accept the law at hand and understand that others have the right to act differently; however, they do not accept same-sex marriage within their membership.

The policy clearly states that children of same-sex  married couples cannot be baptized, unless the parents bring an end to their same-sex marriage. There is a whole lot of controversy revolving around the new policy. The actions of the church have either upset quite a bit of people. Around 1,500 people have left the LDS church because of their disagreement with the new policy. According to the Salt Lake Tribune many people have gone past the point of just angry. They have made an effort to rally and stand up against the policy they see as unfair.

The implications of this policy are becoming more and more clear as time is going on. Over the course of only weeks much has changed for the church. Aside from everything else they have been looked down upon by a large population of people. Also they have brought a dramatic change to the idea that there can be Mormons who are also gay. With this step they have moved more towards completely dividing themselves from the LGBT community. It has been said that this is not a good move for the church at all because they are taking steps back while the rest of the world is moving forward with the acceptance of different people.

There is a lot of questioning as to why a child is being punished for the way their parents are. The fact that a child’s parents are gay has nothing to with the child. The policy also includes that gay couples could be excommunicated from the church. According to a CNN survey taken in 2012, two thirds of the Mormons said that homosexuality is a sin and should be discouraged by society. With this new policy the church has put their opinions out in public completely.

With the topic of this policy many people would say that it is completely wrong but then again the church has the authority to welcome or exclude people from their faith. There already have been lasting impacts of the policy and there are most likely more. There use to be a gray line, whether or not bishops should punish Mormons in same sex marriages. That gray line does not exist anymore. Everything is cleared up.

• New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

• New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Showcase

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

• New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

News

Jersey Mikes Foundation

• New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Showcase

An Alternative to College

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

• New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

• New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Entertainment

Best Albums of 2015

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

• New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

Entertainment

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good

• New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

News

Teachers are Humans too

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage