Jersey Mikes Foundation

Carson Chacon

The History Of Jersey mikes: 

At age 14, Peter Cancro of Point Pleasant, New Jersey, took a part-time job at Mike’s, a neighborhood sandwich shop founded in 1956 and then on its third owner. When the shop went up for sale once again in 1975, Cancro’s mother suggested he buy it. With help from a high school football coach who was also a banker, and his childhood friend, Mike Geissler, Cancro, then 17 and a high school senior, managed to pull together $125,000 in three days. Today, Cancro is the owner and CEO of the company, while Geissler operates as the company historian.

The Product:

Like the original Mike’s store in 1956, each Jersey Mike’s Subs serves submarine sandwiches made to order, slicing the meats and cheeses as needed. A popular way to top off the sandwich with condiments is to order it “Mike’s Way”, which involves sliced onions, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, oregano, salt (spices) and “The Juice” – a mixture of red wine vinegar and olive oil.

Prospective store managers are sent to the location of the original store in Point Pleasant Beach for part of a six- to eight-week training course.

Giving Back To The Community:

This March, Jersey Mike’s Subs, known for its authentic fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs, asks customers to eat a sub and help a local charity.

This year, the national sub shop chain is joining forces with more than 180 local charities for the company’s 6th Annual March “Month of Giving” fundraising campaign. Last year’s Month of Giving raised more than $3 million for more than 150 different charities nationwide and this year Jersey Mike’s hopes to raise even more.

During the month of March, all are invited to come into their local Jersey Mike’s restaurant and make a donation to that location’s designated charity partner. Charities include hospitals, youth organizations, food banks and more. The campaign will culminate in the nationwide event, Jersey Mike’s “Day of Giving” on Wednesday, March 30 when 100 percent of the day’s sales – every single dollar – is donated to the local partner charity.

Interview:

I was able to sit down and Interview a couple of mangers at the Murray location, Mike Botelho and Hailey Maze. during our interview I asked both Mike and Haliey a couple of questions. Mike said ” I’m a general manager at the Murray location. Previously I was a corporate trainer, I traveled the country opening new stores. I’ve been with Jersey Mikes for well about 4 and half  years and we are very excited to be here in Utah. To start building the company and welcoming new customers.” – Mike.

I also had a few question for Hailey I asked her “what is your favorite part about jersey mikes?” Hailey said ” Giving back to the community and the fun family atmosphere.” I then went on to ask her ” How do you like helping others? and what do you mean by giving back to the community.” Hailey said “I love it, well we do donations and fundraising and 100% of the money goes back to you ever the charity is, I also love how excited everyone is to be involved.” For the last question I asked Hailey is ” Whats your role at Jersey Mikes?” Hailey replied back with ” I am the assistant manger at the new Murray location. I’ve been working at jersey mikes for 4 years now on the east coast and I’m excited that we are finally in Utah.”

Personally I’m so Grateful and fortunate to be apart of such a great franchise like Jersey Mikes, I can honestly say that I love being apart of all this. The people and the atmosphere are amazing it’s great what Jersey Mikes does for it’s community and the employees. I’m so privileged to be apart of this wonderful franchise.

• Jersey Mikes Foundation

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

• Jersey Mikes Foundation

Showcase

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

• Jersey Mikes Foundation

Showcase

An Alternative to College

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

• Jersey Mikes Foundation

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

• Jersey Mikes Foundation

Entertainment

Best Albums of 2015

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

• Jersey Mikes Foundation

Showcase

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

• Jersey Mikes Foundation

Entertainment

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good

• Jersey Mikes Foundation

News

Teachers are Humans too

Jersey Mikes Foundation