Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

Samantha Watts, Staff Writer

On Saturday, March 5th, Holly Holm put her belt on the line for the first time since winning it against Ronda Rousey last November. The fight for Holm’s title was versus Miesha Tate, known for her wrestling and grappling ability. Fans were highly anticipating the fight, anxious to see how Tate’s wrestling skills would measure up against Holm’s notorious boxing capabilities.

Holm obtained the belt last November in a legendary fight against “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey, the previously undefeated champ whose first lost was to Holm by knock out in the second round. Since the fight, Holm has taken up many eager sponsors such as Wink’s Gym and Fresquez Productions, and has been on the cover of “Strong” magazine. With such hype around Holm’s win and Rousey’s loss, fans of UFC were antsy to see how Holm would measure up to “Cupcake” Tate, who has a known rivalry with Rousey.Screenshot 2016-03-12 09.39.56

Screenshot 2016-03-12 09.56.50Some die-hard UFC fans were using a tactic called “fight math” in order to attempt to determine who would win between Holm and Tate. Fight math is when you use a fighter’s stats and pass fights to compare to another fighter’s, thereby making an educated guess as to who would win between the two fighters.

Using this strategy, fans put two and two together: because Rousey fought Tate twice and won without difficulty, and Rousey was later defeated by Holm, statistically, Holm wouldn’t have a hard time beating Tate. These fans were sure that Tate didn’t have a chance, even going so far as to say they “really don’t think that [Tate] is ready to fight [Holm].”

-f2c23b96b355b1ca

However, these fans ate their words on Saturday night when, in three minutes and thirty seconds of the fifth round, Tate took Holm down and claimed the belt. Using a rear naked choke, after a long four rounds, Tate got Holm by technical submission. “I feel like this is exactly how it was meant to play out and I just didn’t see that before,” said Tate before the fight, speaking about Rousey’s loss and her chance at the belt against Holm. These words were foretelling of the future: in mere minutes, Tate would be holding the belt in the air, proclaiming her victory.

So what’s next for new bantamweight champion Miesha “Cupcake” Tate? With the belt, not only will Tate likely gain new sponsors and have the spotlight she’s been coveting, but now there’s a new fight that every UFC fan will be anticipating: Tate vs. Rousey.

The legendary rivalry between the two fighters has been unbelievable. After they became coaches on FOX’s show “The Ultimate Fighter,” they started to argue instantly and constantly. The two have faced one another before, in once highly anticipated fights on Dec. 28 2013 and March 3rd, 2012, both of which Rousey won by submission. However, now that Tate holds the belt, there’s no doubt Rousey will want to face Tate once again in the ring. In fact, upon hearing the outcome of the fight, Rousey shot Dana White, president of the UFC, a text message:

Screenshot 2016-03-12 09.31.35

No doubt UFC fans are looking forward to seeing Rowdy Ronda get back in the cage, for the first time since her loss and to go up against her known rival for the first time in a long two years. It may be a while until Rousey’s ready to get back on her feet and into the Octagon, but once she’s there, it will definitely be a fight worth watching.

• Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

• Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

News

Jersey Mikes Foundation

• Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

Showcase

An Alternative to College

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

• Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

• Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

Entertainment

Best Albums of 2015

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

• Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

Showcase

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

• Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

Entertainment

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good

• Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

News

Teachers are Humans too

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate