Marijuana Madness

Zoey Delaney

Big pharmaceutical companies will go to the ends of the earth to shut down efforts to legalize marijuana. As Americans, we consume over 84% of the worldwide supply of oxycodone and close to 100% of hydrocodone opioids. In Utah we rank 4th in the US for prescription related deaths. Every single month in Utah approximately 24 individuals die from prescription drug overdoses and the chance of overdose is extremely higher if any type of methadone is involved.

The makers of fentanyl have spent about $500,000 to fight the legalization of marijuana in Arizona. Fentanyl is a narcotic used to treat serve pain, the partnership for drug free kids warns that there is a “high risk for addiction and dependence” it can “cause respiratory distress and death when taken in high doses or when combined with other substances, especially alcohol.” 

Its estimated that 36 million people abuse opioids worldwide and the pharmaceutical companies reap all the benefits. It’s not just fentanyl; other pharmaceutical companies also pour tons of funding into anti-marijuana activism, such as Purdue Pharma, who has been funneling money to stop the fight to legalize marijuana.

These things l are extremely alarming considering the abuse of prescription drugs has quadrupled since 1999. If this pattern of opioid addiction continues to spiral downwards America will end up “basically f-cked.”

So the question that begins to arise “is money more important than the human life.” In a high school class of 26 children, 10 of those kids know someone personally who is addicted to prescription pills some of those children know more than one. This is extremely alarming.

Addiction comes from many places and with such an epidemic of prescription pill abuse we should focus on where this is coming from in attempt to stop this. Addiction can come from family history because when someone becomes an addict their brain chemistry changes and when they bring new life into the world the child is affected. When you have a mental illness you have a higher risk of eventually becoming addicted to drugs at some point in your life.

Another contributing factor is young people who do not have a strong attachment to their parents or siblings have a higher risk of becoming addicted to something when they are compared to people family attachments especially if they start using at an early age. A couple more contributing factors could be if you are a male, if you experience high levels of stress, or if you feel lonely.

Addiction is a serious problem that we as Americans need to deal with and the problem starts with the pharmaceutical companies.

Marijuana Madness