Fake News Goes Viral as Real News

Helena Ekonomo

A bunch of Macedonian teens have been faking news in order to profit from them. They stated that in Macedonia, teens aren’t allowed to work. So according to them the only way to gain some money is to write fake news on a website, because that is logical.

And what could they be writing about that allows them to gain as much as $5,000 per month? Donald Trump.

Since the past couple of months all everyone seems to be talking about is about the election, this screamed jackpot to these teenagers.

They wrote about the election just months before Election Day, where people frantically looked online for whom to vote for.

This brought them a lot of new people coming to their website every day. That’s why they continued writing nonsense; nonsense people believed.

Since their revenue was coming from people who kept looking for information about Trump some people have been led to believe that fake news helped, in one way or another, Trump won the election.

This could be also known as click bait, but taken to the extreme.

They must have taken it too far with their “stories” because they were caught.

According to Sapna Maheshwari, on an article she wrote on The New York Times, she states that even president Obama has warned the public to beware of false news. Because it has gotten slightly out of hand.

Just a couple of days ago, Eric Tucker, posted a picture on Twitter, which went viral. He posted an image of busses and captioned it saying that they were anti Trump protesters.

People retweeted the picture thousands of times and it made its way to Facebook. Once it hit Facebook, people who share a hatred towards Trump exaggerated the story (which it was only a picture of busses lined up on a street) and said that people were burning flags and causing riots.

This led to this (fake) story winding up on the news.

But to everyone’s surprise, it is not true. In fact, those busses where just there for a software conference in Austin, Texas.

Tucker simply quoted the picture with what everyone is talking about, Trump once again. Why? Because when he was driving he saw some real anti Trump protesters somewhat close to where the busses were, so he made the big assumption they were connected.

He didn’t have time to verify his accusation and he never thought people would wind up finding the truth.

Eric Tucker then posted a picture on his Twitter with the word FALSE written in red on the top of the picture that caused this big commotion.

Think of all the times you log on to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or any other type of social media. You’re just scrolling through ordinary stuff and suddenly you read, “Will Smith dies trying to save a pedestrian.” or “A new study claims that lemon juice cures cancer.”

While both of the statements sound absolutely incredulous some people still click it just for the sake of it to see if Will actually died, and because of this, the owner of the site benefits from it.

These people don’t care whether what they write is true or not. However, they do care for the revenue they make from naïve people.

Fake News Goes Viral as Real News