Your guide to a high school all-nighter

Klarissa Woodsmansee

Welcome to the truth about High School. No doubt you discovered quickly that you have tests and assignments that beat down on you like crashing waves. In this barrage of things to get done, it is almost inevitable that you will have to pull an “All nighter” or two. Welcome to the roadmap on how to successfully pull off an “All-Nighter”.

It was agreed by our panel that snacks and soda were needed in the trenches. They also agreed that blankets, fuzzy socks, and comfortable clothes were late night necessities.

The timing seemed important, it may surprise you that most agreed that you would only be effective for most of the night, dispelling the belief in the “All Nighter”, but we will stick with this concept anyway. Due to the 2-day hibernation recovery, one panel member stated, “Weekends are the best time for an all-nighter, no doubt.” But with the amount of sleep necessary for a teenager, what effects are there of learning this way?

According to an article written by Steven Holbrook, Huffington Post (The Risks of The All Nighter, September 30, 2013), students who studied using this method experienced lower grades, those who stayed up all night averaged 2.9 GPA, while those who studied more conventionally averaged 3.1 GPA. They found that memory actually got worse, the memory was unable to retain information for any period of time. Interesting enough, experts say that during the all-night study session, students actually hit a euphoria. When this happens, the students may feel awake, but most of the time can’t remember very much of what they studied. Students who typically study in the late hours of the night have been proven to perform worse on tests and assignments.

If You Must, How Can You Be The Most Successful?

Although our additional experts at Course-Notes.org agree that this is not the best way to learn they have some real advice that might help you, and maybe our panel of students could learn something as well. They gave this sound advice:

1. Environment, unlike our panel who chose distractions, Course-Notes recommends a place free from distractions, with a window for possible breeze flowing through the room.
  2. Study Buddy, make sure you have a buddy to stay up with you. It will help you stay focused on your studies. They did also recommend that you don’t add a third person because of distractions.
  3. Lower your screen brightness. Eye fatigue, the struggle is real, and it needs to be lessened if you are going to pull a late night study fest.
  4. Activity: if you do allow activities like music, buddies, or others to be there make sure that they are low toned music, and take frequent breaks. If you are able the 20-minute power nap is recommended if you get overly fatigued.
  5. Cold showers! Yes, if your focus falls then take a 5 minute cold shower to wake yourself up.
  6. Diet!! Listen up students and panel students, AVOID CAFFEINE or at least only do it in small doses. Not only does it limit the effectiveness but you can actually become more tired from this wonder drug if you drink too much. Avoid heavy meals, fatty foods (fast foods), sugary food, and carb loaded foods they make you tired. Eat, protein rich foods, spicy foods, and apples.
  7. Staying hydrated will keep your brain working.

How Much Sleep Does Your Body Need?

According to our findings, it is necessary for most student age people to have 8-10 hours of sleep per day. This is very hard to do with our crazy schedules, but the long-term ability to remember large amounts of information becomes very difficult if you don’t regenerate your brain with plenty of sleep.

So it becomes necessary that if you are going to have to pull an occasional “All Nighter” you should have great sleep habits the rest of the time. Here are some great things to keep in mind when getting your regular sleep which will make it possible when needed to learn into the wee hours of the night.

First, plan your schedule to sleep regularly at the same time every day.

Second, build a comfortable sleep environment without distractions, and a good mattress.

Third, limit taking sleep medications or sleep helpers. These should not be taken nightly as they can become addicting.

Fourth, deal with consistent sleep issues with a professional. Make sure you deal with prolonged sleep issues or you can experience other complications and health problems.

The “All-Nighter” is truly an art form, perfected by Seniors and seasoned students. Armed with these facts, you will be well on your way to being prepared to pull an “All Nighter” should the need arise. Keep this road map it will guide you! And yes it is “Do-Able”

Your guide to a high school all-nighter