Hello, Neighbor

Nate Brown, Writer

“It’s a beautiful day in this neighborhood, A beautiful day for a neighbor. Would you be mine? Could you be mine?”

On Monday, January 22, students in Mr. Moffett’s TV and Film classes got to see a Sundance film at the Rose Wagner Theater in Salt Lake City.

The movie they saw was a documentary about Mister Rogers called “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?”

The  film was directed by Morgan Neville and one of the producers was Nicholas Ma, son of famed cellist Yo-Yo Ma (Who was interviewed in the movie). Both of them did a Q&A with the audience after the showing.

I was one of the lucky students to go see this movie. It featured interviews from his wife, Sara Joanne, and his two sons, James and John, staff and crew from the show, like François Clemmons and David Newell who played Officer Clemmons and Mr. McFeely respectively, and friends like the aforementioned Yo-Yo Ma.

The movie goes over the history of the show, like how he came up with the idea and and controversies surrounding the show.

I learned a lot about Mr. Rogers during the movie.  He was an ordained minister, a conservative, but yet he was also progressive. A progressive in the sense that he wasn’t afraid to tackle serious topics on his show for kids like divorce, assassination (shortly after the assassination of Robert Kennedy), and racism.

I’m usually not one to watch documentaries, but I actually really enjoyed this one and would recommend it to anyone. I know some people have said they don’t care for this type of film, but they liked this.

The movie officially comes out June 8th, so keep an eye out for show-times.