The Game Taking Over the World

Christian Cox, Staff Writer

Late last year the game Fortnite was released. Fortnite is a game where 100 players skydive into a map in search of weapons for killing and defending against other players.

The objective of the game is to be the last survivor on the map. Killing other players or hiding in bushes is your choice of surviving. To most, winning is an amazing accomplishment. “Nothing tops the excitement of winning a game of Fortnite,” said sophomore Chanston Rushing.

I began playing the game late January, and immediately I knew what all the buzz was about. It was easy to see why the game had accumulated 10 million different players after only two months of being released.

After being released for less than a year, the game took a turn that most console video games do not take. Epic Games decided to release the game on iOS as well as opening crossplay between PC and console, becoming the most popular game on a short list that allow crossplay, including: Gears of war 4, Halo Wars 2, Forza Horizon 3, and a few more less popular games.

The most recent update from the developer (Epic Games) was at the beginning of February, 2018, when they reported having 3.4 million concurrent players, meaning that the game had over 3 million people playing at one specific time, making it one of the fastest growing video games ever made.

Along with taking off in the gaming world, Fortnite also exploded on social media. Thousands of memes (a trendy joke in picture form) have been created about the game. Some of the most popular are pointing at the fact that men pay more attention to the game then they do to their own girlfriends.

If you often find yourself bored with nothing to do, I highly recommend Fortnite, available for free download on Xbox, PlayStation, Desktop, and iOS.

• The Game Taking Over the World

Entertainment

Uber, Not Just a Taxi Service Anymore

• The Game Taking Over the World

Entertainment

Time Travel to the Groovy 70’s

• The Game Taking Over the World

Entertainment

Skyrim: Worth it on the Switch?

• The Game Taking Over the World

Entertainment

Behind the Bookstore

• The Game Taking Over the World

Entertainment

“The Shape of Water” wins Best Picture

• The Game Taking Over the World

Entertainment

Ever Wondered what the Average American Spends on Valentine’s Day?

• Entertainment

Hello, Neighbor

• Entertainment

Bizarre Holidays January 29 – February 4

• Entertainment

Geriatric Counter Strike Against Retirement And Stereotypes?

• The Game Taking Over the World

Features

Rent Collector Author Presents to Sophomore English