Murray Soccer Makes History

Sara Shober, Editor

The Women’s State Soccer Championship game was played on October 19, at Rio Tinto Stadium. The Lady Spartans faced off against Corner Canyon High School but fell short of a victory with a final score of 1-2.

The lone goal for Murray was scored by Sydney Wilcken (junior) and assisting her was Sammie Sofonia (freshman). Although Murray lost this game, they still took second place in the 5A conference.

This is the best result in this program’s history. “[I] hope to continue to grow on this success,” comments Coach Brady Smith.

This is the first time in Murray Girl’s Soccer that the team has competed in State competitions and advanced past the first round of competition. 

Before the semi-final game, Coach Smith said, “The culture within the team being okay with being average is shifting. We’re pushing the limits.”

The semi-final game was held at Juan Diego High School on October 16 where Murray played against Timpview High School beating them 1-0.

The lone goal in that game was scored by Abbi Graham on a penalty kick. That win advanced Murray to the State Championship game.

In the history of Murray girls soccer no team has been able to accomplish what the 2018 team has accomplished. Before the season even started, they suffered a hit to the team. They lost their senior goalkeeper Nnenna Eke-Ukoh to an injury. However, their sophomore goalkeeper, Alexis Bates, stepped up to take on the position. Although Eke-Ukoh wasn’t able to play, she served as the team’s manager.

This year’s team went undefeated in the regular season, which has never been done.

Their overall record was 15-1-1. Their conference record was 9-0-1. That record qualified them for State competitions.

The first round game was played on October 10th.  Murray beat Alta High School in overtime by a score of 4-1. The lone goal in regulation was scored by senior forward Kylee Thomson.

Assisting her on the goal was freshman Sailor Jenson. Game one ended in a shootout. Alexis Bates blocked the three kicks by the Alta team. On the other end, Seniors Haylie Jenson, Hannah Lee, and Freshman Sammie Sofonia made their kicks, bringing Murray to their first playoff victory.

Two days later, the girls were back in action for round two of the playoffs. On October 12, Murray played against Roy High School.

Game two started off strong as three goals were scored within the first eight minutes. Senior Abbi Graham scored two goals along with Kylee Thomson, Sammie Sofonia, and Junior Sydney Wilcken.

Graham said, “I was happy because we came out so strong.”

Graham, Sofonia,  Jenson and Ella Mckenna all had assists to help Murray take the win in game two beating Roy High by a score of 5-1.

About the Writer
Sara Shober, Editor

Who is Sara Shober? Well for starters, she is a senior at MHS. When she's not traveling or hanging out with friends, you can find her involved in athletics....