Sterling Scholar Award

Rianna Thacker, Editor

Recently our school announced the winners of the Sterling Scholar Award: Business and Marketing: Brekke Pattison

Computer Technology: Cole Lutkin

Dance: Symbria Lewis

English: Mariner Merrill

Family and Consumer Science: Anna Taylor

Instrumental Music Erika Rosen

Mathematics Julianne Solomon

Science: James Collings

Skilled and Technical Science: Mason Holman

Social Science: Henry O’Bryan

Theatre Arts: Sydney Bagley

Visual Arts: Brynna Roberts

Vocal Performance: Ashley Bates

World Languages: Jessica Jorgensen.

Now you are probably wondering why these people were picked, or you’re just wondering what a Sterling Scholar Award is.

The easiest part is being eligible. To be eligible you must attend a Utah public school and be on track to graduate. You must also show leadership skills and have community service.

There are 5 sections of the judging. The Scholarship Section, is based on the applicant’s overall GPA, difficulty of class schedule, ACT and SAT scores, class ranking, and similar scholarship items attained during their high school years. The second section is Category Expertise, where students are expected to show talent and aptitude in their selected category.

The third section is Leadership, and is based off the responsibilities placed upon the student. The fourth section is Community Service and Citizenship. This section is based on how much community service an applicant has completed within their school community and through organizations.

The final section is the Interview, the most important part of the decision making process. The interview is to evaluate the nominees ability to answer questions about their category. The interview also evaluates the student’s technical knowledge, communication skills, professional appearance, plans for their continued education in the selected category.

This is a state wide competition. Eighty-two public high schools are involved. To accommodate the 1,000 nominee,s the state is broken down into 3 regions, North, South, and Central. After 3 judging sessions, the top 15 in each category will compete in the semi-final judging. Then 4 nominees will be selected from each category to compete in the finals.

Some of the colleges offer financial help to nominees, runner ups, and finalists, there are a couple colleges that only offer scholarships to winners. The Brigham Young University offers two semesters full tuition to all regional category winners. The Utah State University offers $2000, $500 a semester, to regional category winners. Runner Ups will receive $1000, $500 a semester, and finalists from the Wasatch Front Region receive $500, $250 a semester. The University of Utah offers a renewable $5000 annual scholarship to all regional category winners, for a maximum of eight years or until the nominee receives a baccalaureate degree. Every college in Utah offers a scholarship to the regional winner.

Talk with your counselor for more information about the Sterling Scholar Award if you are interested. And good luck to all of our nominees.