Good or Bad? Vaping

Back to Article
Back to Article

Good or Bad? Vaping

Kyler Simmons, Co-Publisher

A two sided argument that can put even the greatest of people against each other: Is vaping good or bad? Vaping used to be a common way for adults to help stop smoking, or smoke something other than cigarettes, but these days it is not uncommon to see high school students partaking in this unusual fad. Many of the students here at Murray High own a mod, or have access to one. Not to mention Murray Vapes being right next door to the school. There are two sides to the argument, some say vaping is bad for you, some argue that it is completely harmless. So which is it? Well, no one really knows.

The truth of the matter is no one knows what the effects are. It has not been around long enough for the long term effects to be known. The only known truth, is that because of vaping, a new generation is getting hooked on nicotine.

“I think if you control it and don’t abuse it then it’s all good. Cause it can be a way to balance yourself from doing other hard drugs,” comments Jacob Juarez, a former Murray High student. Juarez has a point, vaping can be a good way to balance doing harder drugs.

Vaping is known to be less harmful than smoking traditional cigarettes, but it is still just as addictive, and students are proud of that. Between vaping in class, or even in cars at lunch, students are showing it off.

Last year Murray High put up posters against vaping, and there was a huge backlash from students because of it. Many students took to social media to express their anger. “The school district needs to stop making it out to be such a terrible thing,” says an anonymous Murray High junior. “If it is said to be a horrible thing [it] is because it is, being addicted to nicotine is not something to be proud of,” comments senior Charles Vargas. “Self intoxicating with different chemicals in vaping is just something that has no common sense.”

At the end of the day, there is no winning argument. The fact is no one knows yet just how harmful vaping is, but the fact that teens have taking up vaping as the new trend, just might be the biggest problem of all.