Vaping: A Dangerous New Trend

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vaping: A Dangerous New Trend

Rachel Wilcox, Writer

A study of more than 44,000 students found that 37 percent of high school seniors vape regularly. The smell of cinnamon or cotton candy often wafts from the bathroom where students go to vape. It even happens right in the classroom.

How dangerous is this new trend for those participating? The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that there have been 2,172 cases of lung damage associated with vaping and 42 deaths reported in the United States.

The effects of vaping are still unknown but most of the cases of lung damage are associated with Vitamin E acetate found in products with THC. However, even if vaping products don’t contain Vitamin E acetate, most do contain nicotine which damages brain development in adolescents.

According to the CDC, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has expanded “The Real Cost” a tobacco prevention campaign to also reach e-cigarette users. It seeks to teach teens about the risks vaping and e-cigarette use has to your health.

So what does vaping look like at Murray High? One anonymous senior said she sees it about once a week. “It happens a lot more than you think,” she commented. 

However, some students report rarely seeing others vape, Junior Sierra Petersen said she doesn’t think she has ever seen students vaping at the high school. 

The most common place for vaping appears to be in the bathroom, however even in class students vape. One senior said they saw a snapchat story of a student vaping into her backpack in the middle of class. 

While the trend seems to be very popular at the moment, not all students think it’s very cool. “It’s gross,” says senior Sara Gratton, “and makes you look stupid and not cool.”