Spartans Fight Back

Shellie Mortensen

The Friday night lights were shining extra bright this week. It was ‘Homecoming Eve,’ and the homecoming football game. The stadium was decorated all around, thanks to the cheerleaders, who also paid homage to past alumni cheerleaders by wearing vintage Murray uniforms. The student section was packed with cheers and screams.

Many were fearing the outcome of this homecoming game. But fear not! The Spartans played a great game! The final score was 35-28 with Murray leading. This was also a very special win for the Spartans, because it is the first ever Varsity win against the Skyline Eagles in football.

Murray was off to a good start when Isaiah Gibson (senior) scored a 34 yard touchdown on the Spartans first possession. At the end of the first quarter we were tied with the Eagles 14-14. We got our lead back quickly when Drew Cash (senior) threw his second touchdown of the game with Taylor Litson (senior) on the receiving end. It wasn’t Cash’s final touchdown of the night. Later, he rushed a touchdown of his own in the third quarter. Hunter Jones also starred in the game with two rushing touchdowns. He was the leading rusher with 171 rushing yards and two touchdowns with 31 carries.

The halftime show was the event of the evening, though, with performances from Men’s Drill, the cheerleaders, and the Drill team. Starting off with the fantastic synchronization of the MOS turned the whole show into an event. Next the Murray High Cheerleaders took the field and stunted to a mix of commonly known songs. Lastly, the Drill team did a choreographed hip hop routine.

The last two quarters of the game, the Spartans dominated. The Eagles made a last minute touchdown which proved not to help. The Spartans took home the win!

Overall it was a great night for the Spartans—a great note to end the school week on. The dance couldn’t have been more of a celebration coming off of such a big win. Murray will never forget this homecoming game. Spartans this year have already made history and we will continue making history the rest of this season.

This week (September 25th) we will be playing the Cyprus Pirates, who just came off of a loss against Alta High School. It will be played in Magna, UT on their home turf. The Spartans won’t back down and are expected to take home another win.

• Spartans Fight Back

Opinion

Ten Reasons to Smile Today

• Spartans Fight Back

Showcase

Holly Holm Loses Belt to Miesha Tate

• Spartans Fight Back

News

Jersey Mikes Foundation

• Spartans Fight Back

Showcase

An Alternative to College

• Opinion

Living with Strangers

• Spartans Fight Back

Entertainment

Zodiac Your Mind

• Spartans Fight Back

Entertainment

Best Albums of 2015

• Entertainment

Should marijuana be prescribed as a painkiller?

• Spartans Fight Back

Showcase

New LDS Policy on Same-Sex Marriage

• Spartans Fight Back

Entertainment

Album Review // Sounds Good Feels Good

Spartans Fight Back